- Los Angeles Coast Water Wise Gardening
- Santa Clara Valley Water District landscape conversion photo gallery
- Tree of Life Nursery
- Sample design plan
Courses and Guides
- BeWaterWise garden spot
- BeWaterWise landscape design basics
- LA Times wonderfully summarizes many issues related to killing your lawn.
- Metropolitan Water District irrigation handbook
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden on using Solarization to kill your lawn.
- Tree of life Nursery planting guide
- Tree of Life Nursery provides an easy to read guide on how to kill your lawn.
- UC Davis guide to healthy lawns
Plant databases and guides
- 2010 Edition UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars brochure
- BeWaterWise.com plant database - search by characteristic
- BeWaterWise.com plant database - search by common or botanical plant names
- California natives from Las Pilitas Nursery
- California natives from Theodore Payne Foundation
- Tree of Life Nursery 30 most popular plants
- Tree of Life Nursery plant information
- Water Use Classifications of Landscape Species (WUCOLS)
Not sure where to start? We have provided some plant palettes to get you going. Just click on the image below to download.
Perennial Culinary Herb Garden
- The American Meadow Garden: Creating a Natural Alternative to the Traditional Lawn (2009) John Greenlee and Saxon Holt; Timber Press, Inc
- California Gardener’s Guide, Volume II (2007) Nan Sterman; Cool Springs Press
- California Native Plants for the Garden (2005) Carol Bornstein, David Fross, and Bart O’Brien; Cachuma Press
- Designing with Succulents (2007) Debra Lee Baldwin; Timber Press
- Home Landcaping, California Region (2001) Roger Holmes and Lance Walheim; Creative Homeowner
- Landscape Plants for California Gardens (2010) Bob Perry; Land Design Publishing
- Landscaping with Stone, Paths & Walls, Water & Rock Gardens, Installation (2000) Marianne Lipanovich, editor; Sunset Books
- Making Garden Floors (2001) Paige Gilchrist; Lark Books
- Outside the Bungalow (1999) Paul Duchscherer and Douglas Keister; Penguin Studio
- Pat Welsh’s Southern California Organic Gardening: Month by Month (2009) Pat Welsh; Chronicle Books
- Reimagining the California Lawn: Water Conserving Plants, Practices and Design (2011) Carol Bornstein, David Fross and Bart O’Brien; Cachuma Press
- Succulents for the Contemporary Garden (2002) Yvonne Cave; Timber Press
- Sun Drenched Gardens, the Mediterranean Style, (2002) Jan Smithen and Lucinda Lewis; Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
- Sunset Western Garden Book (2001) Ed. Kathleen Norris Brenzel; Sunset Publishing Group
- Taylor's Guide to Water-Saving Gardening: A Sourcebook for Gardeners, (1990) Gordon P. DeWolf; Houghton Mifflin
- Tough Plants for California Gardens: Low Care, No Care, Tried & True Winners (2006) Felder Rushing; Cool Springs Press
- Water-Wise Plants for the Southwest (2010) Nan Sterman, Mary Irish, Judith Phillips and Joe Lamp'l; Cool Springs Press